KEEPING VM IN THE SPOTLIGHT
Why Join Us?
The BDS Membership connects you with others in the Visual Merchandising community, and related disciplines, for the exchange of opinions, ideas, suppliers and techniques. Our quarterly e-newsletter provides a regular forum for members within which they are also entitled to free advertising. In addition to representing and promoting the professional standards of the visual merchandising industry to the wider business community, the BDS also provides:-
- Recognition of professional excellence, both personal and corporate, through membership, the awarding of personal affixes and Centre of Excellence status to educational establishments.
- A communication hub between outside organisations and the Visual Merchandising industry.
- A database of practitioners, enabling members to tender for project enquiries from commerce, education and industry that are channelled through the BDS.
- A distance Learning Certificate in Display & Visual Merchandising
- Company ‘in-house’ VM training
- An approved register of suppliers
How to join The British Display Society
To find out more about membership categories see below. Once you have chosen your membership category, simply fill out the online form and make payment via PayPal’s secure servers using your credit or debit card (no PayPal account required).
In addition to representing and promoting the professional standards of the Visual Merchandising industry to the wider business community, the BDS also provides:
- The opportunity to network with other VM members within The British Display Society
- Inclusion onto the BDS database if you are seeking Freelance work
- A right to attend at the BDS Annual General Meeting
- Opportunity to join the BDS Council
- Opportunity to have your work published in VM Spotlight magazine – free advertising and article for promotion
- Opportunity to have your work published on our Facebook and Instagram pages
- Enhance your professional standing with letters after your name
- Use of the BDS logo for additional credibility
Are you a Visual Merchandising student? Then apply for Member (MBDS)
Open to those students studying VM/Design at either a college or those studying the BDS Distant VM course.
Are you working in the Visual Merchandising Industry? Then apply for Associate (ABDS)
Associate Membership is open to those working within the Design/Visual Merchandising industry
Applications for Associate recognition must be accompanied by a full C.V.
After three years, holders of ABDS recognition may formally apply for Fellowship (FBDS) recognition.
£40 Concession for retired member £20
or do you teach? Then apply for LICENTIATE LBDS
Licentiate (LBDS) recognition is open to those who have been actively engaged in the delivery of design courses, as distinct from those engaged in commercial practice, for a minimum of three years.
It is recommended that applicants for Licentiate recognition must hold formal design qualifications and have worked in the education sector for a minimum period of three years and be fully conversant with training students and others in visual merchandising or display design practice at a college of further education or other educational establishment recognised by the Council of the Society.
Applications must be accompanied by evidence of teaching qualifications, a full C.V.
Holders of LBDS recognition are entitled to attend the general meetings of the Society.
After three years, holders of LBDS recognition may formally apply for Fellowship (FBDS) recognition.
£40 Concession for retired member £20
Fellowship (FBDS) recognition is open to those who have held Licentiateship (LBDS) for a minimum period of three years or Associateship (ABDS) recognition for a minimum period of three years.
Applicants for FBDS should provide a current CV together with additional work or information showing achievement which the Board may deem appropriate to the application. This should include applicable examples of or access to examples of, full C.V. of designs or projects produced by the applicant. Electronic portfolio preferred.
NB: Fellowship recognition can also be conferred by the Award Board on persons whose work and achievements within the industry have gained national or international recognition.
£60 Concession for retired member £30
CERT.BDS recognition is open to those who have successfully completed a VM and approved course or alternative course of design studies.