Approval Scheme Terms & Conditions
1. Definition In the conditions, unless the context requires otherwise:
1.1 “The British Display Society website’’ means www.britishdisplaysociety.co.uk and any other website established by the BDS.
1.2 “BDS’’ means The British Display Society Limited whose registered office is 48 High Street, Tibshelf, Alfreton, Derbyshire, DE55 5NX British Display Society Ltd, Registered in England and Wales No: 1036602. British Display Society Trust Fund, Charity No: 313287.
2. Application of these conditions of use.
By accessing or using any part of the British Display Society website you are to be bound by the following conditions of use. If you do not wish to be bound by these conditions, you may not access or use The British Display Society website. We may change these conditions at any time without any notice to you. By your continued access and the use of the British Display Society website you agree to be bound by the most current version of the conditions of use. Please check these conditions periodically for any changes that may have been made.
3. Copyright and database right. Except where otherwise noted, BDS owns legally the beneficially all the intellectual property rights in the content of the BDS website pages (including the design, text, graphics and arrangements thereof) and in the software used therein. Such intellectual property rights include, without limitation, copyrights and database rights in the information displayed as the BDS new Approval scheme 2015 webpage.
4. Trademarks and intellectual property
“The British Display Society website’’ and all other trademarks and intellectual property cited anywhere on the BDS website are the property of their respective owners.” Intellectual property includes the trademarks, patents, designs, copyrights logos, whether registered or unregistered or unregistered designs utility models copyrights including design copyrights applications for any of the foregoing and the right to apply for them in any part of the world discoveries creations inventions or improvements upon or additions to an invention confidential information know-how and any research effort relating to any of the above mentioned business names whether registerable or not moral rights and similar rights in this county or any other country logos promotional material and website addresses belonging to their respective owners.
5. Permitted uses Save as provided below, no materials from the British Display society website may be copied, downloaded, reproduced, broadcast, shown or played in public, republished, uploaded, posted, stored, transmitted or distributed in any way or adapted or changed in any way.
BDS takes active measures to ensure that no unauthorised use or breach of its intellectual property rights is committed. Subject to applicable third party content providers’ licences, you are allowed to access the British Display Society website database, to make copy of the results of any searches made in that database, and to use those results PROVIDED that none of such access, copying and use falls into, is preparatory to or enables any of the categories of prohibited conduct referred to below, and provided that none of such access, coping and use is for the purpose of and in the course of any business. For the avoidance of doubt, and without prejudice to the below mentioned prohibited conduct, such access, coping and use is permitted even for a business if such conduct is merely incidental to the business.
For the avoidance of doubt and without limitation, you are expressly prohibited from:
• Modifying for data or other material from the British Display Society website (“Data’’) or merging the Data with any other data.
• Selling or trading in materials copied from the Data;
• Using or redistributing, lists or directories, other than as and to the extent necessary to use the Data for a use not prohibited by this paragraph 4
• Providing commercial information, redistributing or reproduction of the same by the press or media or through any commercial network, cable or satellite system:
• Issuing questionnaires, reply cards or similar for the purpose of the data capture or verification:
• Permitting or allowing the Data to infringe or otherwise prejudice our proprietary rights.
• Using data;
* For any unlawful purpose or purpose that is likely to bring any part of the BDS into disrepute or to cause any part of the BDS embarrassment.
* To send any message or communication which is offensive, abusive, obscene or menacing?
* In any way that would be reasonably expected to cause annoyance, inconvenience or needless anxiety;
*As source targeting material or contact data for any kind of telemarketing, direct marketing, viral or other electronic marking activity on your own behalf or on behalf or for the benefit of another party.
6. No Licence Except as expressly provided, nothing contained in these conditions or anywhere on the British Display Society website shall be construed as conferring any licence under any of the BDS’s or third party’s intellectual property rights.
7. Disclaimer of representations and warranties The British Display society website is provided by BDS on an “as is’’ “as and when available’’ basis to users. You use the British Display Society website at your own risk. BDS and its associated content provider organisations make considerable efforts to make information made available via the British Display Society website as accurate as possible but no warranty or fitness is implied. Neither BDS nor any of its council members or directors, employees, affiliates, agents, third party content providers, sponsors, licensers, or the like, makes any representation or warranty or condition, either express or implied, to you:
* That the British Display Society website will be uninterrupted or error-free;
* That the British Display Society website or the computer server from which the British Display Society website is made available, are free of viruses or other harmful components;
* To the accuracy, content, timeless, completeness, legality, reliability, quality or suitability of the information, advice, content, service, search results, products or merchandise provided through the British Display Society website BDS makes and you receive, no representations, warranties or conditions, express or implied, statutory or otherwise with respect to:
* The British Display Society website, its content, merchandise, services, documents, information, items or materials provided by the BDS in connection with the use of the British Display Society website; or
*Any goods or services or information received through or advertised on the British Display Society website or received through links provided on the British Display Society website; Including without limitation no representation, warranties or conditions of merchantability, suitability, fitness for a particular purpose, non-infringement of proprietary rights or otherwise. No oral advice or written information given by BDS or its affiliates, or any of its officers, directors, employees, agents, providers, merchants, sponsors, licensers, or the like, will create a representation, a warranty or condition nor should you rely on any such information or advice. In jurisdictions that do not allow the exclusion or disclaimer of certain warranties, the above exclusion may apply to you.
8. Advice not provided The British Display Society website is a site intended to give members of the public access to information on the BDS website. BDS is not an agent for and does not vouch for, recommend or guarantee those persons, companies and other organisations whose goods or services may be displayed or referred to in the British Display Society website, nor for the availability, suitability or prices of such goods and services nor for the legal entitlement, competences, professional qualifications, trade certification, or memberships of trade associations of such persons, companies or other organisations or members. BDS advisers users to satisfy themselves as to the exact type and nature of goods or services being offered or qualifications held by those persons, companies and other organisations whose goods or services may be displaced or referred to in the British Display Society website. The British Display Society website may make available certain information provided by third parties. BDS recommends that before you use any such information with respect to any issues or questions that you may have relating to medicine, law, accounting, financial services or advice or any other profession, you advice from a qualified professional.
9. Limitation of Liability Certain financial information ( including information about actual or potential investments, stocks, shares and securities) may be published on the website by BDS but please note that by doing so BDS is not guaranteeing or holding out that such information is accurate, authentic, up-to-date or correct. Please also not that BDS does not offer this information as advice within the meaning of the Financial Services Act 2000 and in any event BDS is not authorised by the Financial Services Authority to give such advice. You should in all circumstances consult your own authorised independent financial advice concerning such matters and BDS accepts no responsibility whatever for reliance on any such information it provides. Any information provided on this website, including financial, investment or business information, is provided by way of illustration only and you should not rely on such information for the purposes of developing, investing in your own business or in any one else’s business. You should always seek the advice of your own qualified accountant, authorised independent financial adviser or business adviser in any event and BDS accepts no responsibility whatever for reliance on any such information it provides. Under no circumstances will BDS or any of its officers, directors, shareholders, employees, affiliates, agents, sponsors, licensers, or any other party involved in the creation, maintenance or distribution of the British Display Society website be liable for any direct, indirect, incidental, special or consequential damages (including but not limited to loss of profits, business, anticipated savings, goodwill, use of data or other intangible losses) that result from either: *The use and reliance on the British Display Society website; or *The inability to use British Display Society website; or *Mistakes, omissions, interruptions, suspension, termination, deletion of files or e-mail, errors, defects, viruses, delays in operation, transmission or response time, or any failure of performance with respect to the British Display society website including without limitation those arising from acts of God, communications failure, theft, destruction or unauthorised access to BDS’s records, programs or services; or *Merchandise, products or services received through or advertised on the British Display Society website and merchandise, products or services received through or advertised on any links provided on the British Display Society website; or
*Information or advice received through or advertised on the British Display Society website and information or advice received through or advertised on any links provided on the British Display Society website; or
*Any information, data, text, messages and other materials that you email, post upload, reproduce, transmit or is otherwise distributed using the British Display Society website. BDS is unable to ensure or guarantee the security of any information transmitted over the Internet. Any information or data which you transit to or by using BDS is done at your own risk and BDS shall not be responsible or liable for any damages or loss of whatever kind that may result from transmitting such information. However this clause does not apply not apply to any personal injury or death which results from the same and BDS does not seek to limit its liability in relation thereto. If any jurisdiction does not allow the exclusion or limitation of liability for consequential or incidental damages, liability is limited to the fullest extent permitted by law.
10. Miscellaneous These conditions and any and all documents specifically referenced herein constitute the entire agreements between you and BDS with respect to the subject matter hereof. If any provision contained in these conditions is determined by a court of competent jurisdiction to be illegal, invalid or otherwise unenforceable, that provision shall be severed from these conditions and the remaining provisions shall continue in full force and effect.
11. Jurisdiction and governing law These conditions shall be governed by and construed in accordance with the laws of England. BDS controls the British Display Society website from within the country of England. It can, however, be accessed from other places around the world. Although these places may have different laws from those of England, by accessing the British Display Society website you agree that the laws of England, without regard to rules relating to conflict of laws, will apply to all matters relating to your use of the British Display Society website. You and BDS also agree to submit to the non-exclusive jurisdiction of the English courts, with respect to such matters. Users of the British Display Society website accessing it from places outside of England acknowledge that they do so voluntarily and are responsible for complying with local laws.
12. Memberships to the British Display Society Established in 1947 the British Display Society was created to encourage and promote the highest standards of Visual Merchandising design and of display installation throughout commerce, industry and indeed wherever display techniques were utilised. This embraced many different applications – Retail Windows, Point-of-Sale Display, Exhibitions and Museum Displays. Across the years the Society has constantly maintained its professional standing and adapted to changing times within both education and within the retail world it seeks to service and enhance. Former BDS students work throughout the U.K. and indeed throughout the world as display managers, college lecturers and consultants. Many are engaged in the related fields of sales promotion, Point-of-Sale display manufacture and exhibition design. Some practise as freelance designers Members are backed by the Society’s ‘Pathway to Professional Recognition’ through which affixes is awarded to members whose work and achievements are judged to meet the high standards demanded by the Society..
13. Privacy Statements As the profession’s top training body, the British Display Society processes personal data and/or sensitive personal data in the provision of our services – both data about members as well as students. This processing is conducted in accordance with the Data Protection Act 1998 and all feasible security measures are in place. Part of our compliance with the legislation is the registration of the purposes for which we process data with the Information Commissioner’s Office (ICO) – the “Notification”. This Notification is available on the Public Register of Data Controllers on the ICO website at www.ico.gov.uk .We may share data with third parties in the provision of our services – this may include (but is not restricted to) colleges who, in turn, provide our courses. These data may include “sensitive personal data” (for example, race and/or ethnicity) – in providing such information your consent for such processing is implied. We may also share data with third parties if we are required to do so by law. We cannot accept any liability for processing conducted by any third party outside our remit. We have audited our website in line with the Guidance from the ICO with regard to the Privacy and Electronic Communications Regulations 2003 – Amendment 2011. None of the above affects your rights to request access to any of your personal data we may hold. Should you wish to make such a request under the legislation, please do so in writing – email is acceptable. Please note that we may charge a £10 administration fee for requests which is payable in advance and non-refundable.